On January 26th-29th, 11 Concordia choir students and one band student traveled to Richardson, TX to participate in the 2022 TPSMEA (Texas Private School Music Educators Association) All-State Choir and Band. These students submitted audition recordings in October and made it through two rounds of auditions to ultimately earn a spot in the All-State Choir and Band.
After the second round of judging, they needed to end up being ranked in top 25 of their individual sections. One of our students, senior Grace H.-L., ended up earning the #1 overall rank for the Soprano 2 section; meaning she ranked as the highest out of all the private schools in Texas!
The following students earned a spot in the TPSMEA All-State Choir:
- Eliza S. (Sr.) – Alto 1 (3rd year all-stater)
- Jadon F. (Sr.) – Bass 2 (3rd year all-stater)
- Grace H-L. (Sr.) – Soprano 2 (2nd year all-stater) *1st overall Soprano 2*
- Isabel E. (Sr.) – Alto 2 (2nd year all-stater)
- Ellie W. (Sr.) – Alto 2 (2nd year all-stater)
- Will A. (Sr.) – Tenor 2 (2nd year all-stater)
- Avery D. (Sr.) – Soprano 1 (1st year all-stater)
- Colby C. (Jr.) – Tenor 1 (1st year all-stater)
- Ephraim I. (Jr.) – Tenor 2 (1st year all-stater)
- Melissa O. (So.) – Alto 1 (1st year all-stater)
- Selena L. (Fr.) – Soprano 2 (1st year all-stater)
From Thursday through Saturday, the singers were in and out of rehearsals preparing for the concert, which took place Saturday evening at the Eisemann Center. The choir clinician this year was Dr. Jeffrey Ames from Belmont University, and he was a joy to watch teach and conduct.
Evan H. (Sr.) participated in the TPSMEA All-State Band event representing Concordia’s Symphonic Band. This year’s All-State Band was comprised of the top 120 private school band players in the state of Texas. After a tough audition and chair test, Evan earned the 1st chair in the trombone section as the top trombonist of all of the private schools in Texas!
Under the baton of Dr. Ken Dye from Notre Dame University, Evan and the All-State Band practiced for over 14 hours to prepare a concert of demanding music in the world-class Eisemann Center. Congratulations to Evan and all the All-State musicians!
The TPSMEA weekend was a learning and fulfilling experience, culminating in fantastic concerts that included the All-State Jazz Band, Orchestra, Band, and Choir. We are blessed to have such talented students, and we are proud of you for this wonderful accomplishment!